Pages

Summer Scents | Top Perfumes for Summer

Thursday 5 June 2014

Summer Scents
 Scents have such a strong impact on human memory. Scents can make you happy or sad, they can bring you back to people you used to know or memories you once had. This is why I think it's so important to find scents you love and that express who you are to those around you. I've rounded up some of my favourite perfumes to wear when the weather starts to warm.



I've always been very sensitive to smells - many give me excruciating headaches, cause me to sneeze and my eyes to swell, or in the worst case scenario, will actually cause me to rash. Ew. For these reasons, I always find it hard to commit to perfume - they definitely aren't cheap! I never, ever buy a perfume without getting a sample first. Don't be afraid to ask - most places are very helpful and willing to give you samples and scent recommendations. I also like to try several perfumes and rollerballs are my best friend. If I can, I usually go through a rollerball or two before I purchase a full-size. They're much cheaper, much smaller, and I feel less guilty about stockpiling several of them!

Fresh Hesperides, D&G Light Blue, Armani Acqua di Gioia
Blue seems to be the colour combo for fresh summer perfumes... I gravitate towards fresh, citrus or floral scents for the warmer months and these fit the bill perfectly.

Fresh Hesperides Grapefruit Eau de Parfum is exactly what it sounds like - a grapefruit perfume. Fresh, crisp and supposedly attractive to the opposite sex, grapefruit invokes a vibrant citrus note without being reminiscent of cleaning supplies. It supposedly has notes of Lemon, Grapefruit, Bergamot, Lotus, Jasmine, and Peach (although I really only smell the grapefruit).

Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue is a classic bestselling perfume. This perfume is absolutely sensational. It transports you to fantasies of expensive vacations yachting in the Mediterranean. It has Lemon, Bluebells, Granny Smith Apple, Jasmine, Bamboo, White Rose, Cedarwood, Amber, and Musk. It's definitely crisp and airy, a tinge aquatic, but the deep musk notes make it seem oh so sophisticated and sensual. Plus, the rollerball size of this scent is actually a travel spray with a spritzer rather than a ball.

Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gioia is not nearly as fresh and citrusy as the previous two. It leans more masculine and aquatic. I actually bought this one after I bought my boyfriend Armani Acqua di Gio and could not get enough of it on him. According to Sephora, it has notes of Mint, Brown Sugar, Lemon, Jasmine, Peony, Pink Pepper, Cedar Wood, and Labdanum. It's a bit less chic and a bit more outdoorsy. Kinda reminds me of a lived-in outdoorsy type of sexy, if you know what I mean. Like you were jogging on a beach or something.

Marc Jacobs Daisy
Marc Jacobs Daisy is my all-time favourite perfume. I wear it all year round but I think it really reaches its full glory in the Spring and Summer. It's light, feminine, and floral. It has notes of Strawberry, Violet, Grapefruit, Gardenia, Jasmine, Musk, Vanilla and White Woods. This perfume makes me want to twirl in flowery fields in sundresses. It makes me feel pretty and youthful and happy. Plus, the bottle looks oh so cute on my dressing table!

Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess
Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess is the complete opposite of Marc Jacobs Daisy. It's warm and spicy, highlights the heat of summer days on the beach and even hotter summer nights. The scent is a bit sparkling at first with Mandarin and Bergamot. It dries down to notes of Magnolia, Orange Blossom, Jasmine, Coconut, Caramel, Sandalwood, Amber, and Vetiver. The coconut stands out to me, it really reminds me of sunscreen and tanning. This perfume bottles the idea of sexy summer skin and makes me feel confident and gorgeous. This perfume is released every summer in different bottles. This year's bottle is metallic gold and very hard to photograph...

Right now, I have my eyes on a few more perfumes to add to my collection, primarily Bvlgari Omnia Coral which, after emptying several samples, I really truly love. Maybe a new purchase is in order! What scents do you love for summer?

No comments :

Post a Comment